DEPARTMENT OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY
- IMCH has the distinction of having the largest number of deliveries in a single institution in Asia and the total number of deliveries in 2004 stands at an outstanding 22,755.
- It is a referral centre for 5 districts of Northern Kerala viz. Kozhikode, Kannur, Wayanad, Malappuram and Kasargod and the average number of deliveries per month ranges from 1800 to 2500.
- Gynaecological surgeries are also carried out with an average of 20-30 major surgeries per week including laparoscopies.
- The Family Planning Unit offers various services including Medical Abortion, Termination of pregnancies, Sterilizations including Laparoscopic sterilization and Vasectomies apart from dispensing temporary contraceptives and Intra Uterine Contraceptive Devices.
- PPTCT services (Prevention of Parent to Child Transmission) are available on all weekdays for the voluntary counseling and testing for HIV in all antenatal women