DEPARTMENT OF NEUROLOGY
DM Course was started since 1998
Regular training is being given for MD Medicine, Psychiatry and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Post Graduate students.
Every Monday there is a Symposium and Every Thursday there is a Journal Club. Cases are regularly presented in the Saturday Clinical Club
CMEs are regularly conducted by the Department of Neurology from 1989
The last one was an International CME titled NEUROCAL 2005 (www.geocities.com/neurocal05/index.htm)
Ongoing Projects & Research Activities:
1.Plasmapheresis Vs IVIg in treatment of Guillain Barre Syndrome
2.Role of Plasmapheresis in ADEM
3.Mononeuritis Multiplex – a Cross sectional study
4.Reversible Posterior LeukoEncephalopathy – Clinical Profile
Papers are being presented regularly in various state level, National and International CMEs
1. Anterior inferior cerebellar artery infarct with unilateral deafness. Rajesh R, Rafeequ M, Girija AS. J Assoc Physicians India. 2004 Apr;52:333-4
2. Alien hand syndrome. John PA, Jose J, Girija AS J Assoc Physicians India. 2003 Jun;51:629-31.
3. Primary antiphospholipid antibody syndrome presenting as venous infarct and deep vein thrombosis. Madhavan S, Rajesh R, Girija AS. J Assoc Physicians India. 1999 Dec;47(12):1200.
4. Childhood acute disseminated encephalomyelitis presenting as Foix-Chavany-Marie syndrome. RamachandranNair R, Manoj P, Rafeequ M, Girija AS.
J Child Neurol. 2005 Feb;20(2):163-5.
5. Neuro-Behcet’s disease. Abraham S, Rajeev E, Girija AS. J Assoc Physicians India. 2000 Aug;48(8):838-41.
6. Pyridoxine-dependent seizures: a review. Rajesh R, Girija AS. Indian Pediatr. 2003 Jul;40(7):633-8.
7. Seizures in hyperglycemic patients. Sabitha KM, Girija AS, Vargese KS.
J Assoc Physicians India. 2001 Jul;49:723-6.
8. Vialetto-Van Laere syndrome in two sisters born to consanguineous parents.
RamachandranNair R, Parameswaran M, Girija AS. Pediatr Neurol. 2004 May;30(5):354-5.
9. Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis treated with plasmapheresis. Ramachandrannair R,Parameswaran M, Girija AS. Singapore Med J. 2005 Oct;46(10):561-3.
10. Plasmapheresis in Childhood Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis. Ramachandrannair R,Rafeequ M, Girija AS. Indian Pediatr. 2005 May 7;42(5):479-482.
11. Childhood acute disseminated encephalomyelitis presenting as Foix-Chavany-Marie syndrome. RamachandranNair R, Manoj P, Rafeequ M, Girija AS. J Child Neurol. 2005 Feb;20(2):163-5.
12. A case of sensory Guillain Barre’ syndrome. Manoj P, Sanjay G, Sujith OK, Girija AS. J Assoc Physicians India. 2003 Nov;51:1123.
13. A case of hemeplegic migraine with leptomeningeal angiomatosis. Girija AS, Somanath V. Neurol India. 2002 Dec;50(4):522-3.
14. Idiopathic hypoparathyroidism with extensive intracranial calcification associated with kinesogenic choreoathetosis. Girija AS J Assoc Physicians India. 1999 Mar;47(3):354.
The Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery have established an academic forum. The Neurosciences club meets once in a month and organizes CME programmes, topic discussion by invited guest speakers, case and imageology discussions.